The role of the Content Editor (ellicom Academic) is creating, maintaining and delivering the highest quality learning experience for students taking our online courses. This person will be responsible for validating and editing raw course c4ontent to help Instructional Designers, e-learning Developers and Writers maintain current best practices in online course development, quality assurance and delivery. The Content Editor will coach and train team members on academic writing skills to support continuous improvement.
- Validate raw course content in a variety of subjects for accuracy and appropriate level of academic challenge.
- Edit raw course content for general clarity and effective use of language (including technical language).
- Establish editorial standards (structural, stylistic and copy-editing standards) and ensure course content meets these standards.
- Flag glaring copyright issues, as appropriate.
- Develop an academic style guide with grammar and language standards to be used by members of the team and Subject Matter Experts.
- Assist in and support internal training to apply academic writing standards across the team.
- Copy-edit and proof a variety of course materials, checking for errors in grammar, spelling, syntax and punctuation, as well as consistency in capitalization, font usage, numerals, hyphenation, etc.
- Detail-oriented and strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with minimal oversight
- Willingness to be flexible and continually learn in an ever-changing environment
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and management skills
- Proven ability to collaborate across teams
- Strong research skills
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in e-learning
- Knowledge of instructional design and related tools, strategies, theories
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in creative writing, technical writing or editing
- Experience working in online writing or editing environments
- Prior experience in an academic institution preferred
- Prior experience with e-learning or educational content preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Previous knowledge and experience using learning management systems